Friday, December 1, 2006

Recorded a new tune

Man it has been a while since I recorded a new tune. Over the past year I have had a seeminlgy endless stream of song ideas. I'll launch Cubase SX (my recording software), create a new project, record a snippet and then save the project with revealing names like "new song with heavy chord progression". Yes - that is an actual project name. So over the Thanksgiving break I woke up one morning and said to myself, "Ok, you are finishing a song this weekend. If you don't then that'll really be pathethic. So get your act together!" I may have even said it out loud...

I named the piece Alien Quest. It is about an intelligent alien being who embarks on a grand and dangerous journey. It starts with a formulaic, hard rock chord progression. That is to say, intelligent aliens surely have discoverd rock and roll... The middle of the piece goes through a series of somewhat disconnected parts, representing the variety of encounters and detours the alien experiences. Finally, there is the taste of success and we return to the opening theme. The alien is finally able to relax and enters a state of pensive contemplation. During the outro I experimented with some odd phrasings to capture the alien's musings.

Ironically I will have to end up learning the piece since most of the parts were improvised (over many many takes...). I think some of the riffs are keepers. And I defintely am pleased with the tone.

I thank Peter Diezel for being the Amp mastermind he is. I didn't know superb tone until I stepped foot into Peter's world. I recorded this tune with his Einstein combo amp, which, incidentally, is named after his dog (with whom my wife and I played Fetch the Tennis Ball - I wonder how many of his customers can say that...).

Later,

Brian Huether

No comments: